Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Think About It.

I went to a different church this past Sunday.

There was a missionary speaking and he has just come back from Mexico. He told a story that I would like to share...

He started by telling us that he had a revelation with bugs in his mouth...literally!

There was a bucket hanging from the top of the cooking hut. In the bucket was a pile of dirt that was covered with hundreds and hundreds of worms (the same worms that you find in the bottom of the tequila bottle). So, he asked what the worms were for. The lady never answered him, she just reached in the bucket, pulled out a handful of worms, and threw them in the pot. She cooked them for a few minutes, crushed them up, mixed them with a salsa type of stuff, and told him to try them. So, he put a pile in his mouth. Then he forced a smile.

He said that at that moment this went through his mind -- "Is my temporary comfort (in this life at this moment) more important than the eternal destiny of the person I am talking to, talking about, working with, working for, ministering to etc. etc?"

All I could think when he said that was this - What is more important? Being a little out of my comfort zone and talking to people I don't know? Or helping other people completely change their lives and get where they need to be?

Think about it!

3 comments:

Pat said...

I love this story - I hope you don't mind if I borrow it sometime! :) -Paula

Paper Fan Club said...

This is a great post. I will remember it the next time I need to step out of my own comfort zone to please someone!

tsovorp said...

Great story!