Sunday, June 3, 2007

Cont. How I Started Down This Road...

The business that Patsy and I started was Coastal Vacations. I really wasn't looking for the business to do much of anything. The only reason I started with an advertising campaign was because of all that was happening at the time.

You see, we started in June of '05. At the time I worked as a contractor in our local public school system. I was a computer math lab administrator. I absolutely loved my job, but I didn't love the pay.

Ever since middle school I had wanted to become a nurse. In high school I started taking nursing classes and I was certified as a nursing assistant at the age of 16. During the summer of my Junior year I even worked at a retirement home. After high school I started at our community college to pursue my nursing degree. Next thing we knew, I was pregnant. My advisor suggested that I wait until after I had the baby to continue my classes because of my due date. I took his advice and dropped all of my classes.

Life happened and I put going back to school off. I had a husband, two kids, a job in the school system, and a pretty busy life. Even through all of that, the dream of becoming a nurse never left me. In March of 05' I was accepted to a private nursing school. Only 15 students were accepted each year -- and I made it!

Since I was getting ready to go back to school full time, I had to quit my job at the school. Since Patsy and I started a business I thought that I would at least give the advertising a try until my classes started up in September. I thought that I would make some money to have on hand for when I went to school.

I plugged into the training that our group, the Coastal WealthBuilders, offered. It was awesome! You will never meet a group of people that truly want to see each other succeed. Over the Summer I got one person started. I made $1,000 and I thought that if I could do it once, I could do it again. I got really excited!

At the end of August I found out that I was not going to nursing school after all. Things just didn't work out with my son starting Kindergarten and needing a sitter for my daughter. I had her on a preschool waiting list all Summer and nothing opened up. I had to give my nursing school spot to someone else. I was very upset about not being able to go, but at least I had my Coastal business! I have to admit, being at home with the kids all that time was great. A lot of times I would actually talk to people and do my work outside while the kids were playing in the kiddie pool!

Once the summer ended a lot of personal stuff happened. Patsy and I ended up putting the business aside. I went to work part time at two different places. It was supposed to be just a seasonal thing. I was going to bring in some extra money for Christmas. It ended up being way more than that.

In June of 2006, when school was out for my son I quit both of my jobs (I didn't make enough to pay for day care for both of the kids anyway). I decided that if my life was going to change for the better, I was going to have to be the one to step up and change it.

No comments: