Thursday, June 14, 2007

Shy

I was talking with a very nice lady today who is trying to find a way to bring in some income from home. She is married and they have a 7 month old daughter. She did everything that I asked her to do. She read over the information and she does see how this business could really change her life.

Here's the thing -- she's really shy! She says that she is not a people person, even though she is a delight to talk to. The most soft spoken, polite lady that I have talked to in some time.

Because of her shyness, she told me that this is not something she would want to do and she thanked me for my time.

You know what? I TOTALLY get where she is coming from! I was the exact same way! I hated talking to people that I didn't know. I was so bad, that when I was out in public, I would stand around (usually in a corner somewhere) with my arms crossed. I was great at the one word answers:

How are you today? OK
What have you been doing lately? nothing
Are you having a good time? yes
Is there anything I can get for you? no
Will you come again next week? sure

I was very shy. I didn't have much self-confidence. I didn't think that anyone would want to hear anything that I had to say. I thought that if I did say something, it would probably come out wrong. I would sound stupid, or worse, hurt someone else's feelings.

I know better now! I know that I am here to help people.

So, if you are the shy person standing in the corner, watching life pass by, and you want more -- there is hope! If you want to change, you can! I am the living proof. :-)

1 comment:

Graham Ettridge said...

What kind and touching words...a beautiful and inspiring post. I too used to be extremely shy, even now still prefer to be on the sidelines rather than centre of attention. Sometimes a little encouragement is all that is required, and that is exactly what your post does...thank you!! I'll definitely be back to read more soon.